What to do in the off season... or between games...
- Soccer. More soccer? Yes!. There are pickup games many evenings
in Riverside Park at 102nd. And you can just take a ball down there or to
105th (as a break from travelling rings) and kick it against one of the
many walls that form the Riverside Park promenade.
- Basketball. Safe Haven Basketball League . Has
boys and girls leagues.
- Baseball. I suppose it should be mentioned but its covered pretty
well in the links above.
- Swimming. Most websites ignore Riverbank
State Park. And this website is all but worthless. They have the most
fabulous pools. Call before you go. The park hosts many events that sometimes
exclude the public. Also find out the policy on pool area locks. Currently,
you must bring your own.
- Ice Skating. Websites also ignore Riverbank
State Park for ice skating. Its far better than Lasker and a simple
trip on the #1. This is a serious omission in the above links. There are
even lessons offered.
- Running. Many of the NYRR events come included with many afterschool
- Travelling Rings. Riverside
Park at 105th Street in the sandy volleyball ball area. Gymnastic chalk
is a big help.
- Rock Climbing. Central Park Conservancy at the North
Meadow Recreation Center(NMRC) - Sundays (are they still doing it?
they have the inside wall and shoes - its free for kids - call first). The
NMRC has a lot of other activities going on. Check out their website.
- Slackline. Tightrope
walking! There is no place where they are already set up. But you can get
a 30' simple but great kit from slacklineexpress.com
for $30 and then find a pair of trees or the poles at the Travelling Rings
and you are good to go.
- Kayaking. Free kayaking
from two sites on the Hudson River. An adult must accompany. 72nd
and 56th and Houston streets .
- Unicycle. I suppose you can do it anywhere. You'll just have to
commit and get one. I never saw any before this year.
- Devil Sticks.
Another do anywhere sport. A form of juggling.
- Juggling. The possibilities are endless. Chinese Yo Yo. Tennis
If you know of more appropriate links for this page, please email